CELEBRATING33 YEARS: 1984 - 2017
The Aero Club of Metropolitan Atlanta was founded in 1984 by Lockheed Aircraft Company executives and local business people to serve the aviation community.
Georgia Lieutenant Governor Casey Cagle visits with Mr. Pat Epps, President of Epps Aviation, at the 4th Annual Georgia Aerospace Legislative Breakfast, where industry representatives met with legislators February 4 at The Georgia Capitol. Also in the photo are Steve Justice and Amy Hudnall of the Center of Innovation for Aerospace. Atlanta Aero Club was represented by board members Will Lovett and Amy Hudnall.
The Atlanta Aero Club, a Chapter of the National Aeronautic Association will present David Meilander and the Yellow Jacket Flying Club with the 2017 Annual Epps Award for outstanding achievement and contributions to the Aviation Community in Georgia and the Southeast region. Pat Epps will present the award at the Atlanta Aero Club’s luncheon, March 16, 2016 in Atlanta, Georgia.
The Epps Award is given to an individual, Company, or Government agency, determined to have made significant contributions to the aviation community. For more than 70 years, the Yellow Jacket Flying Club, a student organization at Georgia Tech, has promoted aviation in an intelligent manner with great professionalism that reflects upon the Georgia Tech community. David Meilander has supported the Yellow Jacket Flying Club for more than 40 years as a flight instructor, Chief Flight Instructor (25+ years), board member, and currently responsible for maintenance management of the Club’s four Cessna 172 aircraft.
The Georgia Tech Flying Club, a student organization at the Georgia Institute of Technology (www.gatech.edu), was established in 1945 at a meeting attended by about forty men. Initial flight operations were established with arrangements to rent Southern Airways airplanes at Chandler Field, now Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. In 1948 the Club received a war surplus PT-17 Stearman biplane and moved operations to Parkaire field (now Parkaire Mall), north of Atlanta. A year later the Stearman was sold and an Aeronca Champ was purchased. In 1952 operations were moved to Fulton County airport. Since that time the Club, now the Yellow Jacket Flying Club (www.yjfc.org) has primarily operated Cessna aircraft. The Club relocated to DeKalb-Peachtree Airport in 2012 and currently operates four Cessna aircraft.
Advertising and Sponsorship opportunities available. Support your club and grow your business.
Click Here to Inquire
January--Bruce Whitman, President of Flight Safety International
Please support our business members:
Thursday, May 18, 2017
Click here to contact Aero Club of Atlanta